F-1 Student Visa

F visas are issued to foreign nationals who are enrolled in academic programs. Those wishing to pursue academic studies in the United States must first obtain a Form I-20 from the school in which they will enroll and can then apply for a student visa at the U.S. Consulate in their home country. Students are allowed to remain in the United States for the “duration of status” but must maintain status by attending school on a full-time basis unless authorized to do otherwise. Students who fail to maintain status may apply for reinstatement. Students also receive periods of Optional Practical Training (OPT) during which time they may undertake paid employment in their field. Upon completion of the academic program and practical training period, the student has a 60-day grace period in which to leave the country.