K-1 Fiancé(e)

A US citizen may file for a K-1 visa for his or her fiancé(e) overseas. With certain exceptions, it is mandatory that the couple have met each other before applying for a K-1 visa. The initial petition will be filed in the U.S. Once it is approved, the US consulate will contact the fiancé(e); in his or her country of residence. The fiancé(e) may then also apply for employment authorization. Children under 21 can be issued K-2 visas and enter the US with their parent. The couple must marry within 90 days of entry on a K visa.

Once married, the foreign spouse may apply for a Green Card without leaving the United States.