TN Visa for Canadians and Mexicans

This is an alternative to the H-1B visa for certain Canadian and Mexican professionals. In general, a bachelor’s degree or license is required from a college or university. Sometimes additional requirements are needed to qualify. TN status is not available for the self-employed, except for Management Consultants, who may be independent contractors with their own consulting business in Canada.

The professions eligible for TN status are listed in NAFTA (Appendix 1603.D.1 of NAFTA).

The Process

There is no quota on the number of TN’s for Canadians and Mexicans. The application will be adjudicated at the US port of entry upon presentation of the appropriate evidence. TN status is granted in three year increments and can be extended indefinitely