News & Blog Articles

The H-2 visa: Entering the U.S. as a Temporary or Seasonal Worker

by | Apr 19, 2013 | 0 comments


The H-2A or H-2B non-immigrant categories are for those entering the United States to perform temporary labor services for one year or less.  This visa is general used to allow seasonal laborers to work in the United States during a harvest period or to engage in other types of agricultural activity.


1. The position the non-immigrant is entering the United States to fill must be a temporary one;

2. The applicant must not be displacing U.S. workers and the employment cannot adversely affect the wages and working conditions of U.S. workers; and

3. The applicant must come from a country that is a part of the H-2 visa program.

Nationals of the following countries are eligible to participate in the H-2A and H-2B program:

Argentina, Australia, Belize, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Ethiopia, Guatemala, Honduras, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Lithuania, Mexico, Moldova, the Netherlands, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, South Africa, South Korea, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and Uruguay.


Admission may be for no longer than one year. Extensions may be granted for no more than 12 months and for a maximum of 3 years. However, extensions are given only in extraordinary circumstances.


Submit a Comment